Labour Party Candidate
I’m not a politician. I am a family lawyer who has worked with the Police Federation and acted for many officers, so I know how this government has sapped their morale. My knowledge of the law, of policing and my ability to listen sensitively will help me to represent you well.
Perhaps most importantly, my experience as a working mum, a wife and mother of two young children will help me to stay in tune to the concerns of ordinary people in Gloucestershire, in a way I think the Coalition Government no longer does. My pledges:
- The coalition is driving policing in Gloucestershire off a cliff edge. The County needs a PCC who will voice residents’ opposition to the closure of 21 of our 31 police stations and the scrapping of 10% of our officers and 250 backroom staff. I will oppose these cuts.
- I will champion ‘Restorative Justice’ projects. If you break it – you fix it. I will work with the criminal justice system to give victims of crime the chance to explain to the criminals the impact of their crime.
- Creeping privatisation is a major concern. Some constabularies are looking to outsource CID work to the private sector. I think that’s unacceptable. For me, policing is for public service, not private profit.
- Stronger communities are safer communities. I will use my advocacy skills to build on the kind of community spirit Gloucestershire saw during the floods. I will work with faith communities, charities, local businesses and trade unions to boost the recruitment of ‘special constables’ to assist our police.
- The police should remain free of political interference. I pledge to ensure that remains the case.
Promoted by Barry Kirby on behalf of Rupi Dhanda, 1 Pullman Court, Great Western Road, Gloucester, GL13ND.