The election of Police and Crime Commissioners in England and Wales is crucial. Our judiciary and the Police have always remained independent and must continue to do so. We must not allow party political candidates to succeed and compromise our independent Police with their party political agendas; this is why I am standing as an INDEPENDENT. My vision is for a progressive force that is agile, committed, and effective in delivering policing for those in most need.
I have lived in Leicestershire for 36 years, and all my life experience has prepared me for this role. I have owned and managed my own successful, business; I have served locally as a magistrate, and most important of all, for the past 25 years I have been a committed champion of local people as a community advocate. In various capacities I have also critiqued the work of the Police for over 15 years.
I know how local and central government works; I know how to run customer-focused organisations, and I know, from my day-to-day contact with them, what local people want from their Police.
I therefore pledge to:
- Remain independent of all party political influence.
- Cut crime year on year, and safeguard the interests of victims of crime.
- Deliver effective, visible, and honest policing by requiring the Chief Constable to meet challenging performance targets.
- Fight the scourge of anti-social behaviour by a ‘positive arrest policy’ and new thinking.
- Radically review all police expenditure, so as to achieve ‘value for money’, and to reduce management costs at headquarters.
- Review the closure of so many of our police stations.
- Build new consultative arrangements so that the needs of local people truly inform policing strategy.
Prepared by Agent: Luman Ali, 309 Mere Road, Leicester, LE5 5GS