Bill Longmore is an Independent candidate with no political allegiance. He is not a politician but a man of the people who has considerable experience of policing (ex police officer); business (ex director of a successful timber business); and has worked tirelessly for the community throughout his life (providing sporting opportunities for young people and driving forward community projects).
He strongly believes that politicians should not be allowed to interfere with policing and that the people of West Mercia have a choice to vote for a person who is not connected with a political party.
Bill was the winner of the BBC Midlands (Unsung Hero) Sports Award 2011 in recognition of his community work, and he has a passion for helping people.
The current austerity measures have had a huge impact on policing and in the short term there is no funding for more police officers so the challenge is to ensure that the resources available are maximised to effectively meet the needs of the people.
Bills aims are to:
- listen to the people and provide a strong voice to champion their needs.
- ensure policing partnerships are dynamic, effective and provide real benefits for the community.
- identify new partners, funding and opportunities for young people using sport and other social activities to divert them away from crime and disorder.
- Identify new funding to support victim services and prevent crime and disorder.
- ensure views of victims are listened to and that they receive a fairer deal within the criminal justice system.
- develop new opportunities for the rehabilitation of offenders to benefit communities.
- support West Mercia police to meet the challenge of austerity measures.
More information at www.bill4pcc.co.uk
This statement has been prepared by Barrie Sheldon, Election agent, 26, Broomhurst Way, Muxton, Telford TF2 8RG