Devon & Cornwall
We have a Police Force to protect the public and maintain human dignity. We have a right to feel free from threats of robbery, violence, abuse and fear. Police are not here to fill forms and shuffle paperwork. They are here to keep our society free, our children safe, to protect life and property.
This is William Morris’ seven-point action plan for Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly:
- Immediately introduce Targeted Zero Tolerance policies in areas where alcohol related violence is not reduced.
- Street Wardens in holiday trouble spots.
- Support church volunteers working at night in Town Centres.
- Reintroduce remand fostering for young offenders.
- Campaign against cheap strong liquor and child access to alcohol.
- Introduce new Child Safe programme after close consultation with parents and teachers.
- Increase resources for home detox.
- Crackdown on littering with drugs paraphernalia.
- Establish Britain’s only drugs and alcohol detox centre for under-21s.
RAPE AND ASSAULT:
- One third of rapes in Devon and Cornwall are of girls under sixteen. Rape is abhorrent. The rape issue will get top priority.
- Introduce more efficient and effective civil orders for domestic abuse.
- Farm Crime, including rustling and wildlife crime, will be treated as urgent.
POLICE ON THE BEAT:
- No cuts to local policing. These officers are essential.
- Less bureaucracy. More pre-charge Restorative Justice, and Community Payback for young offenders.
- More sworn officers in Town Centres Friday and Saturday nights.
- Vehicle spot-checks in crime hot spots.
CAUSES OF CRIME:
- William Morris will speak out about poor social conditions and unemployment.
Submitted by the agent, Margaret Tomkinson, Beacon Farm, Yarcombe EX14 9LU on behalf of William Morris
Angwinack, Ludgvan TR20 8BN