My name is Afzal Anwar. I was born in Nelson, where I live and work as a barrister. I’m married with children and was the Liberal Democrat candidate in Pendle in the last election.
I’ve worked in the criminal justice system for ten years. As a lawyer I’ve seen all sides while in court. This is not about politics – I will resist all attempts to bring politics into policing. It’s about making everywhere inLancashirea safer and better place.
As Lancashire’s Police Commissioner I will bring new ideas and energy to the task. My priorities are:
- Lancashire led the way in bringing back local community policing. I will make sure this success story is not undermined by spending cuts. My top priority is Frontline community policing so that everyone feels safe and secure in their home and neighbourhood.
- Young people are too often alienated from the police. We must build trust between all young people and the police. I will also create apprenticeships for young people within the police service.
- Domestic violence is on the increase inLancashire. This is a top problem for action.
- I will make drug dealing and violent crime a high priority.
- We need a Police Commissioner with a new perspective, not just another politician hugging a public office. I’ll hold regular “surgeries” to meet people in all parts of Lancashire. I’ll involve schools and colleges, churches and mosques, and all kinds of local groups and organisations. I’ll make sure local people and not just politicians are involved in local policing plans.
Above all I’ll work closely with the Chief Constable and our police service to make Lancashire a better and safer place for all of us.
Prepared by Tony Greaves (agent) 3 Hartington Street, Winewall, Colne, Lancashire
phone: 07718 155106