Labour Party Candidate
I have spent my life standing up for other people, both in the community and in the workplace.
I have lived in Wiltshire for 15 years and have campaigned across Wiltshire and Swindon in that time.
I have worked in the heart of government, in Number 10, and have a track record of turning policy decisions into action.
These are the skills that you will need in an effective Commissioner working on your behalf.
From speaking to people across my home county of Wiltshire, my priorities are:
- Neighbourhood Policing Teams. These teams need to be protected from the government’s 20% cuts to policing. They are vital in tackling anti-social behaviour, establishing relationships with communities and keeping policing visible.
- Victims. Victims need to be at the heart of the justice system and must be kept informed after a crime has been reported.
- Evidence based policing. I will use firm evidence to build an effective crime prevention strategy, to keep you safe.
- Protecting the vulnerable. Government cuts to the police and local government have led to deep concerns about increasing domestic violence and support for people who have suffered from this. Hate crime, particularly against people with learning disabilities, must also be tackled.
- Keeping the police public. I will stand up against privatising police services. It is vital that policing doesn’t become measured in private profits and exempt from public scrutiny.
- Your voice in policing in Wiltshire. I will be out every week across Swindon and Wiltshire to meet with the public and community groups and be accountable to you.
The Commissioner’s job is to represent your priorities, not to be an alternative Chief Constable. I am the candidate that will stand up for you.
Prepared by John Firmin 26 Portsmouth Street Swindon SN1 2LF