Labour Party Candidate
I have been a City of York Councillor for 12 years, holding cabinet level positions both in control and in opposition from 2002 to 2011. I was also Deputy Leader of the Labour Group from 2006 to 2010.
I was a member of the North Yorkshire Police Authority from 2005 to 2011 where I was elected to the Policy and Planning Board and the Police Authority Management Board. I represented the Authority at regional level and was lead member for Neighbourhood Policing.
I work as Operations Manager with a York-based Community Transport organisation and I have two daughters and two grandsons who keep me on my toes.
I am very independent minded and have experience working across the political spectrum.
I am signed up to delivering on five key pledges:
• Stand up for communities against the Tories’ 20 per cent cuts to policing and the loss of 167 police officers in North Yorkshire.
• Keep police on the beat with neighbourhood policing teams that include PCSOs. I will not hand over policing to private companies.
• Back a strong and swift response to antisocial behaviour. Victims should get a response within 24 hours.
• Be tough on crime, and tough on the causes of crime. I will work in partnership with police, local people and councils to prevent & reduce crime.
• Protect the police from political interference by respecting the independence of the Chief Constable.
I understand the cycle of crime that criminals spiral into when constantly going in and out of prisons, and believe in tough restorative justice that is beneficial to communities and to victims of crime. I will prioritize all forms of hate crime. I look forward to working with local people in every part of North Yorkshire.
Prepared by John Taylor 59, Holgate Road, York, YO24 4AA