I’m offering a fresh approach to policing and crime in Surrey – based on my extensive professional and community leadership experience, and my commitment as a Liberal Democrat to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, upheld by the rule of law.
Like many people I disagree with the idea of PCCs, but we’re stuck with them for now. That’s why I’m offering a professional, ambitious, community-based alternative – not more prisons, privatisation or central government control.
I’ll focus on what actually works to prevent crime and keep Surrey safe:
• bringing back community policing and working with communities to tackle antisocial behaviour, road safety and rural crime
• safeguarding victims, with extra support for women, children and domestic violence victims
• a concerted campaign to cut drugs and youth crime and county lines of organised crime
• tackling offending behaviour through restorative justice, education and treatment for mental health and addiction problems
• tough community sentences with longer prison terms for dangerous and persistent offenders.
I’ll work with and challenge police and other agencies to reduce threats to our safety, fight crime, and get justice for victims. I’ll be fiercely independent of government, demand better value for money, and give fair, frank and balanced reports back to the people of Surrey.
I’m a local councillor and former barrister, accountant and actuary with thirty years’ professional leadership experience in both private and public sectors. I’ve a strong background in criminal law and financial management and scrutiny. For ten years I’ve provided strategic direction and independent oversight to public interest organisations on a non-political basis. I’ll hold Surrey Police to account without undermining operational independence.
This election address was prepared by Sue Doughty, election agent for Paul Kennedy, 3 Wharf Cottages, Shalford, GU4 8EH.
Find out the results for your area by searching below: