“SWEENEY TODD, FLYING SQUAD”
Your PCC should ideally be knowledgeable about policing, independent of any political party and independent of the police. I tick all these boxes. I studied law and politics at Hull University and then Criminology at Cambridge where I did research on police management. I am a solicitor currently practising with a leading firm in Hull and for many years, specialized in both prosecuting and defending in the courts. I served as acting chairman of Bedfordshire Police Authority. While I was M.P. for the Vale of Glamorgan, I acted as an unpaid adviser to Michael Howard Q.C. and served on the Home Affairs Select Committee. I successfully campaigned for better pay and conditions for the police and for the introduction of CCTV to reduce town centre crime. I campaigned in Parliament for fully compatible IT systems to be introduced in every police force (which if implemented would have avoided the Soham murders) and tabled a private member’s bill to give improved rights to victims of burglaries to defend themselves.
We all need and deserve better protection from criminal behaviour. I will work with you to achieve this.
If elected, I will:
- Give full support to our police, local government, the legal profession, the probation service and charities involved in the fight to reduce crime and improve detection and conviction rates;
- Help the victims of crime;
- Help divert criminals from a life of crime;
- Strive to achieve improved value for money;
- Build better relations between police and public, to reduce crime and increase safety;
- Work full time to represent YOUR interests in cutting crime, wherever you live, whatever your politics and whoever you are.
This statement was prepared by my Election Agent Nuala Sweeney of Newbegin House, 10 Newbegin, Beverley HU17 8EG.
Candidate’s Contact Details
Walter Sweeney, Newbegin House, 10 Newbegin, Beverley, East Yorkshire, HU17 8EG; Telephone: 01482 888880; Email: email@example.com; Website: www.waltersweeneypcc.co.uk