This notice sets out how we will use your personal data, and your rights. It is made under Articles 13 and/or 14 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The purposes for which we are processing your personal data are to:
- provide the names and addresses of candidates standing for election as Police and Crime Commissioners
- provide other information about candidates that the public may find useful, and
- to provide this information in printed form to members of the public who request it.
We will process the following personal data:
- In relation to candidates, their name, photograph, contact details and the name and address of the candidate’s election agent.
- The names, address and contact details of the Police Area Returning Officer (PARO) for the election.
- The names and addresses of electors to order printed copies of the candidate booklet.
Legal basis of processing
The legal basis for processing your personal data is:
- In relation to the names and addresses of candidates, the details of PAROs, and the details of those requesting printed copies:
– It is necessary to comply with a legal obligation placed on us as the data controller. In this case that is article 52 of The Police and Crime Commissioner Elections Order 2012.
- In relation to any other information published about candidates or their agents:- processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller.
The candidate information will be publicly searchable through the homepage of www.choosemypcc.org.uk by entering the candidate name.
All candidate addresses and the PARO statement can be viewed through the homepage by selecting the relevant police area or by entering a postcode.
Data will also be shared with our IT suppliers who provide our website and hosting.
The data for those ordering booklets will be shared externally with our printers APS Group.
As personal data will be stored on our IT infrastructure it will also be shared with our data processors who provide email, and document management and storage services.
The information provided for candidate addresses will be retained until the next scheduled PCC election schedule takes place. But once information is published on the internet it can be copied and stored in ways that we cannot control.
The names, address and contact details of the Police Area Returning Officer (PARO) for the election will be retained until the next scheduled PCC election schedule takes place. But once information is published on the internet it can be copied and stored in ways that we cannot control.
The information for ordering candidate booklets will be destroyed 30 days post receipt.
Where personal data have not been obtained from you
If you are a candidate, then your personal data were obtained by us from your local PARO.
You have the right to request information about how your personal data are processed, and to request a copy of that personal data.
You have the right to request that any inaccuracies in your personal data are rectified without delay.
You have the right to request that any incomplete personal data are completed, including by means of a supplementary statement.
You have the right to request that your personal data are erased if there is no longer a justification for them to be processed.
You have the right in certain circumstances (for example, where accuracy is contested) to request that the processing of your personal data is restricted.
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data where it is processed for direct marketing purposes.
For additional data published about candidates that falls outside our legal obligations
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data.
As your personal data is stored on our IT infrastructure, and shared with our data processors, it may be transferred and stored securely outside the United Kingdom. Where that is the case it will be subject to equivalent legal protection through an adequacy decision or the use of Model Contract Clauses.
All data shared with APS Group will be stored in the UK.
Data hosted on our website and shared with our hosting provider may be transferred and stored securely outside the United Kingdom. Where that is the case it will be subject to equivalent legal protection through [tbc]. Please note that both data can be accessed and held anywhere once published on the internet.
The data controller for your personal data is the Cabinet Office. The contact details for the data controller are: Cabinet Office, 70 Whitehall, London, SW1A 2AS, or 0207 276 1234, or email@example.com.
The contact details for the data controller’s Data Protection Officer are: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Data Protection Officer provides independent advice and monitoring of Cabinet Office’s use of personal information.
If you consider that your personal data has been misused or mishandled, you may make a complaint to the Information Commissioner, who is an independent regulator. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, or 0303 123 1113, or email@example.com. Any complaint to the Information Commissioner is without prejudice to your right to seek redress through the courts.
Last updated: 15 March 2021